Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Buffy Season 3: The Award goes to...

Dear Joss Whedon,
Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 3 was the season that really made me a Buffy fan.
This show is about vampires, right?
Having finished the entire show it is still my favorite. Perhaps that will change when I re-watch it but for now it wins. Being that it is my favorite season, this award show is going to be the most difficult of all.

Favorite episode


 "The Wish"
Tough call. This was the episode though I thought back the most on. What happened to Buffy in this universe to make her so hardened? How did Xander and Willow become vampires? Other questions! I loved the change up of everything. It reminded me of the DC comics Elseworld books but this time it was actually in continuity. The other thing that is great is that Vampire Willow actually returns, albeit too short of a time. 


Least favorite episode
"Beauty and the Beasts"
Is Angel or Oz killing people? Nope, a mysterious third option that is made too easily hate. Even though this was my least favorite episode, it still was not that bad. Season three was just good all around.

Favorite moment
"Earshot"
I really have two. I love the scene in "The Zeppo" where Xander interrupts Angel and Buffy who are again moaning about their lives. However I slightly like a scene in "Earshot" more. The scene is when Buffy's Mom is trying to avoid Buffy. Buffy seems confused and then blurts out...
Buffy: "You had sex with Giles? You had sex with GILES?"
Joyce: "It was the candy. We were teenagers."
Buffy: "On the hood of a police-car?"
Joyce: "I'll be downstairs. You feel better."
Buffy: "Twice?!?"

That was comedy gold. I actually rewound it a couple of times. What a great bit. It was funny enough watching Joyce and Giles interact after "BandCandy" but when Buffy finally found out, it was truly hilarious.
No. No, sex happened here. Move along.
Least favorite moment
"Dopplegangland"
When Vampire Willow dies. I was really hoping she would stick around for a few episodes. I do not think she was used her to her full potential. She could have fit in with the gang fairly well. A vampire they do not trust nor can they bring themselves to kill. A sort of failed precursor to Spike's eventual inclusion in the Scoobies.

Most disturbing moment
"Helpless"
Lovable father figure Giles has been drugging Buffy to weaken her for a Watcher's ritual. Wow, I was not expecting him to be behind Buffy's lack of power. Where has BTVS gone when you cannot even trust Giles?

I do not even have a problem with needles either, unlike another certain letter writer of yours. If you have an aversion to needles then you get double whammy, disturbing points for this scene.
Sorry, Erin. Good luck sleeping tonight.
Favorite line
"Dopplegangland"


Willow: It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and... skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay.
Buffy: Willow, just remember, a vampire's personality has nothing to do with the person it was.

Angel: Well, actually... 

Angel: That's a good point. 
Funny that Angel, who was never one of my favorite characters. has my favorite line from this season. He wants to correct Willow but then realizes it exposes his own terrible, vampire self being based a bit on when he was human.
So in summary, season 3 was a masterful season. It had plenty of unique and fun episodes while never losing sight of the plot. You should be very proud of it. I wish my "award show" highlighted some of the more serious moments you created Joss as they were also great, but with me, comedy always wins.
Take care. -Josh Flowers
p.s. I cannot believe The Mayor nor Faith made my list in any way. They were both great additions to this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment