Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dear Joss Whedon,
Recently I grew up.


I guess. Sort of.
 Well maybe I just learned a small lesson in one of the many that are sure to fill my life.
I was a bridesmaid in a wedding and had one of those moments where reality replaces fiction and things get a little too shiny.


Me on the left with Lauren (the Bride) and Mallory(The Maid of Honor)




I watched  some good friends of mine walk down the aisle, say their vows, and then commit to spending the rest of their lives with one another.
And that is not the end of the story! After they made this commitment in front of all their friends and family and the marriage license had been signed, CREDITS DID NOT START ROLLING.
Their reception didn't flash before my eyes in short clips filled with all the cutest moments and no other couples connected eyes as they danced and realized something special about the other person.
I WAS carried into the reception in a duffle bag, which was wonderful but it was hardly a scene from your typical Rom-Com.


Life kept happening.


They woke up the next day and were still married as they will be doing for the rest of their lives.
You have had a few wedding scenes in your work.  And they all beg the question: What is your problem with healthy, long lasting marriages?

Imprinted to be his perfect woman. 
                             
                                 Left at the alter after a demon convinced her fiancé that they would be miserable together.


 The closest you have ever come to a 'happy ending couple' is Serenity.




  and Wash (Alan Tudyk) dies in that one!





 In light of this realization I am quite surprised that you chose to do 'Much Ado' as opposed to 'Hamlet' for your Shakespeare tribute. 

Although I suppose Beatrice and Benedick didn't have the most wildly functional of relationships. Perhaps that's why you chose them. 

I'm sort of hoping that as I continue to learn those crazy life lessons that I won't have to learn them through a dozen more relationships that go up in flames. So, yea. I love your work but I won't be using the relationships you have created as models for my own life. 
I am also hoping that no matter how many lessons I learn they won't cause me to grow up anytime soon. It doesn't sound like a super fun experience.

Hoping you're well,
Erin Michele








A dream where she burned up





No comments:

Post a Comment