Friday, June 22, 2012

Buffy Season 2: My Opinion

Dear Joss Whedon,
I have finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer season two.
I love if you know nothing of BTVS, how weird Giles looks. Creepster.


















I liked it. Duh. The first season was good but the second season really seemed a bit more solid. It had more continuity and a little less of the monster of the week feel. So Mr. Whedon, I hope you do not mind me judging your creation. Let's consider it an award show, but instead of one of those Emmys you deserved but did not attain, you get a Josh's nod of approval.

I even dress up for the occasion.



















Favorite episode
"Halloween"
There were so many good episodes I debated on from "School Hard" to "Innocence" to "Becoming." It was a good season. I decided to go with "Halloween" because out of all the episodes it is the one I most want to watch again right now.  It was fun. I am a big fan of episodes that change the playing field. Seeing Xander as a soldier and Buffy as a scared 18th-century noble woman.

Also it highlights one of my favorite things about the series, BTVS does not forget details. 
Who would have thought anything from this episode would carry on once the credits rolled? Yet Xander becoming a solider became an important part of several future episodes. 
So good job Mr. Whedon. Your attention to detail ruins other shows for me just a little bit more.

Least favorite episode
"Go Fish"
I just wasn't digging the high school kids turned into creatures from the black lagoon. Reminded me more of a Are You Afraid of the Dark episode than Buffy, well except for more implied rape, I'll talk about that in a minute.

Favorite moment
"Innocence" 
A rocket launcher!















Yes, it is obvious but how can you have a different favorite moment than Buffy using a rocket launcher on a demon? After countless hand to hand combats it was kind of cathartic to just see her blow the new all powerful baddie apart.

Least favorite moment
"Ted"
Wow, that Three's Company finale really had a twist.















I just disliked when Ted is found out to be a robot. Not that I wanted Buffy to kill someone but I was really interested in seeing the show tackle such a complicated topic.  Does she have the right to use her powers to kill a human even if they are evil? I felt the air go out of the episode when it was revealed he was a robot. All the possibilities were gone when it turned out just to be another "monster" that she should be fine with killing. 

Most disturbing moment
"Go Fish"
In the episode the coach throws Buffy down a hole where his former team who are now water monsters are so they can take care of their other needs AKA rape her. They are already full from eating someone else so this was implied to be Buffy's purpose. Buffy escapes and then the coach gets knocked in and we get this scene.












COACH MARTIN 
Boys! Boys, uh, now, now, boys! No! I... 

They attack him.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
COACH MARTIN
No, boys!

He screams and struggles as they pull him 
under. Buffy pulls her arm back up.
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
BUFFY
Those boys really love their coach.
 
I can never look at fish sticks the same way. You can? Remind me to 
turn down your next invite to Red Lobster, pervert. Heh.
 
Favorite line
"Surprise"
So many choices. This was the hardest thing to decide. Even when a episode was a bit off you could always count on some good dialogue. I am sure when I rewatch this season my choice will change for now my favorite quote belongs to Xander and his mocking of the possible end of the Angel/Buffy relationship.
Xander: 
Hmm, it's sad, granted. But let's look at the upside for a moment. I 
mean, what kind of a future would she've really had with him? She's 
got 2 jobs -- Denny's waitress by day, Slayer by night -- and Angel's 
always in front of the TV with a big blood belly, and he's dreamin' 
of the glory days when Buffy still thought this whole creature of the 
night routine was a big turn-on.

Classic Xander. So thanks for season two of Buffy, Mr. Whedon. I will save you a seat up front for season 3's award show. That is if I ever can stop watching long enough to write about it. I am so addicted. I am just glad you can't fit in a syringe or I might really be in some trouble. 

Take care. -Josh Flowers

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've ever watched the whole series, and if you haven't (which apparently you haven't) I won't spoil it for you but all I'm going to say is that this whole topic about how far a slayer can go snd if she's allowed to kill a human for whichever reason is going to come back. Which proves that Joss Whedon and his entire writing team know how to write and take advantage of every single opportunity that comes their way. :) Enjoy the rest of this magnificent show! -It gets even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalia,
      I have not finished Buffy yet but I am working my way through it. The writing is so much better than I expected. I Love it so much. It really is hard to get anything else done. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete